Three habits you need to make for healthy skin
2019 is well underway, but resolutions are not just for the new year. It’s never too late to improve on your skincare routine.
So, if you want beautiful, glowing skin this year, here are some good skin habits you’ll need to adopt...
1. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise
If you want truly flawless skin, moisturising is key. Daily moisturising ensures that your skin is hydrated, and can even protect sensitive skin from irritants. It can also improve the tone and texture of your skin.
You should choose a moisturiser that works for your skin tone. If you have oily skin, you should use a light moisturiser. If your skin is more dry, opt for an oil-based moisturiser which will maintain your skin’s hydration through the day.
Tip: Gently rolling your skin with a 0.25mm derma roller before applying moisturiser will allow any cream to absorb much more effectively than it would normally.
2. Perfect your sleeping pattern
Not only does a lack of sleep leave you feeling groggy, it can also wear out your skin. There is a stress hormone, cortisol, that increases when you’re sleep deprived. This can make your skin more prone to acne and increase the severity of skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
Poor sleep also leads to more inflammatory cells beneath the skin. These cells break down hyaluronic acid and collagen, the molecules that make your skin glow.
There are a few simple steps you can take to improve your sleeping pattern:
- Avoid naps – While a midday power nap might seem like the perfect option, they can disrupt your sleeping schedule making it difficult to get your full 8 hours a night.
- Craft a bedtime ritual – Having a bedtime ritual lets your body know it’s time for sleep. This is also a perfect time to work on your skincare routine. Make the routine as relaxing as possible.
- Turn off your phone – Try to make the bedroom a phone free zone. Incessantly checking social media and staring at the screen can keep your mind active and awake – which is not what you want for a good night’s sleep.
3. Drink more water
Drinking water regularly is vital for healthy glowing skin. It’s recommended that you drink eight cups a day.
There are so many benefits to drinking lots of water that we’ve even written a whole blog about it (Why Drinking Water is Vital for Fresh Healthy Skin). It can help flush out nasty toxins, and keep your skin looking youthful, plump, and fresh.
Drinks that contain water – such as tea or coffee – won’t do the trick, unfortunately. You need to drink pure water. Try increasing your intake each day until you hit your goal.
Why not try incorporating these tips into your daily routine and seeing the difference they make to your skin?